Claritin is an antihistamine drug from the pharmaceutical corporation "SCHERING-PLOWH LABO".
It is a selective (selective) blocker of peripheral H1-histamine receptors, with the main component - loratadine, and has a long, fast and effective antiallergic effect - relieving itching, swelling and inflammation, without causing drowsiness and dryness and irritation of the mucous membranes.
On this page you will find all the information about Claritin: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Claritin. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Histamine H1 receptor blocker. Antiallergic drug.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Klaritin? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 235 rubles.
Release form and composition
Claritin can be purchased in pills or in syrup.
- active ingredient: loratadine; 1 tablet contains loratadine micronized 10 mg;
- excipients: lactose, magnesium stearate, corn starch.
- active ingredient: loratadine; 1 ml of syrup contains loratadine micronized 1 mg;
- excipients: sodium benzoate, propylene glycol, citric acid monohydrate, artificial (peach) flavoring, glycerin, sucrose inverted, water.
The drug Claritin has anti-allergic, antihistamine and antipruritic effects. These therapeutic effects are due to the fact that Claritin blocks histamine receptors. Effects develop very quickly (within half an hour) after taking the drug, and their duration is up to 24 hours.
Claritin blocks histamine receptors, preventing the development of an allergic reaction. In principle, histamine itself is released under the influence of an allergen that has entered the body, but the receptors of the cells on which it acts are blocked, and the substance simply cannot exert its effect. By the time the drug is taken, usually a certain amount of histamine has already contacted its receptors, and the allergic reaction process has started. But after taking the medicine, it blocks the remaining receptors, and the allergic reaction cannot continue.
As a result, the symptoms that have already developed quickly pass away, since their course and amplification at the cellular level is no longer maintained.
Indications for use
What helps? Claritin belongs to the group of antiallergic drugs, providing antipruritic and antihistamine effects. The main indications for its purpose are:
- acute and idiopathic chronic urticaria;
- angioedema (tongue, larynx and pharynx);
- allergic reactions to insect bites;
- complex therapy of bronchial asthma;
- year-round allergic rhinitis and pollinosis (seasonal allergic rhinitis);
- year-round and / or seasonal allergic conjunctivitis;
- diseases of the skin and soft tissues of an allergic nature (eczema, dermatitis);
- pseudo-allergic reactions associated with the use of histamine-nibblers (chocolate, tomatoes, coffee, strawberries, cocoa and other allergenic products).
At the same time, this drug relieves the main symptoms of these pathological conditions - itching, rash, sneezing, runny nose, swelling of mucous membranes, tearing, bronchospasm and burning.
- Breastfeeding period;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
In addition, the use of Claritin is contraindicated.
- Syrup: deficiency of sucrase or isomaltase, fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption; age up to 2 years.
- Tablets: lactase deficiency or malabsorption of glucose-galactose, violations of the tolerability of galactose; age up to 3 years.
It is recommended to prescribe the drug to patients during pregnancy and in case of severe liver dysfunction.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The safety of loratadine during pregnancy has not been established. Use of the drug Claritin during pregnancy is possible only if the intended benefit to the mother outweighs the potential risk to the fetus.
Loratadin and its active metabolite are excreted in breast milk, so when prescribing the drug during lactation, the question of discontinuing breastfeeding should be resolved.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Claritin is prescribed by mouth, regardless of the meal.
- Adults (including elderly patients) and adolescents over the age of 12 years are recommended to take Claritin at a dose of 10 mg (1 tab. Or 2 teaspoons / 10 ml / syrup) 1 time / day.
- For adults and children weighing more than 30 kg with severely impaired liver function, the initial dose is 10 mg (1 tab. Or 2 teaspoons / 10 ml / syrup) every other day, with a body weight of 30 kg or less - 5 mg (1 tea spoon / 5 ml / syrup) every other day.
- Children aged 2 to 12 years, the dose of Claritin is recommended to be prescribed depending on body weight: with a body weight less than 30 kg - 5 mg (1/2 tab. Or 1 tsp / 5 ml / syrup) 1 time / day, with a weight body 30 kg or more - 10 mg (1 tab. or 2 teaspoons / 10 ml / syrup) 1 time / day.
Elderly patients and patients with chronic renal failure do not require dose adjustment.
Instructions for syrup Syrup
For adult patients, two teaspoons (10 ml) are prescribed once a day. Children from two to three years old and weighing less than 30 kilograms of the permissible rate of syrup - 1 teaspoon or 5 ml per day.
For people, including children weighing more than 30 kilograms, with a severe degree of liver damage and dysfunction of its functions, the permissible initial dose is not more than 10 ml of the drug (2 teaspoons) once in two days. If with the same diseases the body weight is less than 30 kilograms, the initial dosage will be half as much - 5 ml (1 teaspoonful of syrup) every 48 hours.
Typically, Claritin, according to reviews, is tolerated by children and adults well.
Disturbances of the nervous system can manifest as:
- In adults - headache, fatigue, dry mouth, drowsiness:
- In children - nervousness, headache and sedative action.
- In adults, disorders of the digestive system most often manifest themselves as nausea, abnormal liver function and gastritis.
Also, Claritin, according to reviews, can cause:
- Palpitations, tachycardia (cardiovascular system);
- Skin rash, anaphylaxis (allergic reactions);
- Alopecia (skin).
Suspected Claritin overdose can be due to symptoms such as headache, tachycardia, drowsiness. In this case, you should immediately consult a doctor. As a treatment, supportive and symptomatic therapy is usually prescribed. Gastric lavage and absorption of adsorbents are allowed (activated charcoal in crushed form is mixed with water).
Loratadine is not eliminated by hemodialysis. After emergency care, the patient’s condition must be monitored.
For children under 3 years old, Claritin is prescribed in the form of a syrup, the doctor calculates the dose of the drug depending on body weight.
Persons prone to allergic reactions should discontinue use of Claritin before conducting diagnostic tests, since antihistamines can lead to a distortion of the research results.
During the period of drug treatment, you can continue to drive a car or mechanisms, since loratadine does not affect the operation of the central nervous system.
The combined use of this drug and ketoconazole, erythromycin or cimetidine can increase the concentration of loratadine in the body or its metabolite. However, this has no particular clinical significance.
We picked up some feedback from people about Claritin:
- Kseniya. Data on side effects are significantly underestimated. A week ago, she took this remedy for several days at 5 mg per day, not even 10, as a result she woke up one morning from severe stomach pain, which had never happened to me before, and nowhere to take it, in principle, and even more so background allergies eat right. And one of my friends, who regularly takes this medicine according to the instructions, poured tea into a white ceramic mug and scorched, because it seemed to her that the mug was made from a newspaper. These are the pills that do not cause drowsiness. But glitches very cause.
- Marina. My body produces the strongest allergic reactions to cat hair (most of all at someone’s home where cats live permanently). Almost immediately appears intolerable itching on the skin. The only medicine that helps me is claritin. I tried cheaper counterparts, they were useless.
- Olga It is not clear why, five years ago, there was an allergy to cat fur. If I go to friends who have a cat, then skin manifestations (rashes and blisters) are provided. I tried different pills and drops, but only Klaritin really helps. I take a pill an hour before coming to the apartment where the cat is located, and the order is no urticaria.
Since the main component of the drug is long-known medicine loratadine, on the pharmacy shelves can be found many drugs based on it, the price of which is much lower than the Belgian. It:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Klaritin or Tsetrin: which is better?
The main substance of Cetrin is cetirizine, which, like loratadine, is a blocker of the H1-histamine receptors. Therefore, these drugs have the same indications for use. In addition, both are available in the form of tablets and syrup. But unlike Claritin, Zetrin syrup is intended for children only from 2 to 5 years old (5 ml 1 time per day), and from 6 years old tablets are used to eliminate allergic reactions - 1 pc. 1 time per day.
At the same time, Tsetrin cannot be used when taking theophylline or sedatives, therefore, given the same efficacy, indications and contraindications, Claritin is more rational to use in the treatment with these agents. If the patient is forced to take erythromycin or cimetidine, then it is necessary to give preference to Cetrin.
Klaritin or Erius - which is better?
In the network quite often there is a question, which of these drugs is better? Each of them is an antiallergic antihistamine of the new generation. Therefore, they are characterized by almost the same strength of therapeutic action and a minimum of side effects. However, it is believed that Erius is characterized by a wider spectrum of action, as he is active in eliminating allergic cough.
However, you can find a lot of reviews when patients report that Erius does not help them and they began to take Claritin or vice versa. Thus, the question of drug choice depends on the individual characteristics of each person.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Claritin is recommended to be stored in a dark place away from children, observing a suitable temperature regime: 2 - 30 ° C. Tablets retain their properties for 4 years from the date of manufacture, syrup - for 3 years. After taking them is impossible.