Remantadin is an antiviral agent that has immunomodulatory and anti-toxic effects.
The drug reduces the risk of influenza, and if present, promotes rapid recovery. It is also used to prevent tick-borne encephalitis.
The drug was first obtained as a result of chemical synthesis in 1963 in the United States, and the resulting formula was significantly improved in the Soviet Union in 1969 — this final version of the drug under consideration is now being produced by the pharmacological industry.
Antiviral agent derived from adamantane.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Rimantadine in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 100 rubles.
Composition and release form
Rimantadine tablets have a white or light yellow color, round flat cylindrical shape. On one side there is a separation risk for convenient breaking the tablet in half.
- Active ingredient: rimantadine hydrochloride - 100 mg in 1 capsule, 50 mg in 1 tablet.
Additional components of rimantadine capsules:
- Excipients: potato starch, stearic acid, lactose monohydrate, dye sunset sunset yellow (Eurolake Sunset Yellow HS (EllO));
- The composition of the capsule: gelatin, titanium dioxide (E 171).
Remantadin tablets excipients: potato starch, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, lactose monohydrate.
Remantadin is a chemotherapeutic drug with antiviral activity that is derived from amantadine and midantana. This medicine is used as an antiparkinsonic agent.
It is active against tick-borne encephalitis virus, as well as influenza A. The drug has an antitoxic and immunomodulatory effect on the human body. Since the long-term circulation of the drug in the body is provided by its polymer structure, the long half-life makes it possible to prescribe this remedy not only for therapeutic purposes, but also for the prevention of influenza and encephalitis. The use of rimantadine helps to increase the functionality of lymphocytes, the production of interferon alpha and gamma, and also to suppress the specific reproduction of viruses in the initial stage. This drug does not allow viral particles to escape from the cells.
Remantadin reduces the risk of getting the flu. In the presence of this disease, the above remedy contributes to the speedy recovery. The drug is most active in the first 18 hours of feeling unwell. The initial stage of influenza is the main indication for rimantadine. The drug is adsorbed in the gastrointestinal tract 2-4 hours after oral administration. The active component is metabolized in the liver. The half-life of the drug is 25-30 hours.
Indications for use
Remantadin should be taken only by appointment of a specialist. Ignoring the prescription of a doctor or self-application can cause aggravation of pathologies.
Adult patients receive rimantadine administered in the following conditions:
- prevention and treatment of influenza caused by a strain of type A virus in the early stages of the disease;
- prevention of tick-borne encephalitis viral nature.
Children from 7 years old are prescribed an agent for the prevention and treatment of influenza caused by a type A virus.
Remantadin is also prescribed as a medicament for the prevention of infection with encephalitis with tick bites.
Children under 7 years of age should not use the drug.
Taking pills is prohibited in the following cases:
- chronic kidney disease;
- chronic liver disease;
- intolerance to one or more components of the drug;
- thyroid disease;
It is necessary to use tablets with extreme caution and only after prescription of a doctor to those people who have high blood pressure, atherosclerosis or epilepsy is present. Please note that the use of rimantadine can lead to an exacerbation of chronic diseases. Older people may experience delayed elimination of components of the drug. A group of people with liver disease may show poisoning.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Remantadin is absolutely contraindicated for use at any stage of pregnancy and during lactation. There are reasons for this. It has side effects associated with stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, which can aggravate toxicosis.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use rimantadine should be taken orally, after meals: swallow capsules / tablets whole and drink water.
With flu treatment should begin within 1-2 days after the first symptoms.
- adults and adolescents over 14 years old: the first day - 100 mg 3 times / day or 300 mg once, 2-3 days - 100 mg 2 times / day, 4-5 days - 100 mg 1 time / day;
- children 10-14 years: 50 mg 3 times / day;
- children 7-10 years: 50 mg 2 times / day.
The total duration of treatment is 5 days.
Older people, patients with epilepsy and severe liver failure, the dose is reduced to 100 mg 1 time per day.
For the prevention of influenza, adults should take 50 mg 1 time per day for 30 days, children over 7 years old - 50 mg 1 time per day with a course of up to 15 days, depending on the epidemiological situation.
In general, rimantadine is well tolerated by patients, and the occurrence of side effects is extremely rare. But while taking the considered antiviral drugs may appear:
- dry mouth, nausea and vomiting;
- increased gas formation;
- pain in the anatomical location of the stomach;
- dizziness and concentration disorder;
- non-intensive headache and insomnia;
- nervousness and unmotivated fatigue;
- classic allergic reaction - urticaria, pruritus.
If at least one of the listed side effects appears, you should immediately stop taking rimantadine and consult with your doctor about the appropriateness of a further course of taking the antiviral in question. Most often, experts either carry out a complete replacement of the drug, or adjust the dosage.
If drug poisoning occurs, it is necessary to maintain the functions of vital organs and systems. The literature does not describe cases of overdose with rimantadine, but there is information about poisoning with adamantane derivatives, adamantine. In this case, hallucinations, agitation, cardiac arrhythmias and death were observed.
If rimantadine poisoning is accompanied by reactions of the nervous system, treatment with physostigmine at a dose of 1-2 mg for adults and 0.5 mg for children is recommended. If necessary, the introduction of physostigmine can be repeated, but at a dosage of no more than 2 mg of physostigmine per hour.
Rimantadine is used with caution in cases of arterial hypertension, epilepsy (including history), and atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels.
When using rimantadine, exacerbation of chronic comorbidities is possible. Elderly patients with arterial hypertension increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke. With indications of a history of epilepsy and anticonvulsant therapy, the risk of developing an epileptic seizure increases with the use of rimantadine. In such cases, rimantadine is used in a dose of up to 100 mg / day simultaneously with anticonvulsant therapy.
With influenza B, rimantadine has an anti-toxic effect.
Prophylactic administration is effective in contacts with patients, in the spread of infection in closed collectives and at high risk of developing a disease during a flu epidemic. Perhaps the emergence of drug-resistant viruses.
Interaction with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- With simultaneous use of rimantadine reduces the effectiveness of anti-epileptic drugs.
- Adsorbents, binders and coating agents reduce the absorption of rimantadine.
- Paracetamol and acetylsalicylic acid reduce rimantadine Cmax by 11%.
- Cimetidine reduces the clearance of rimantadine by 18%.
- Means alkalinizing urine (acetazolamide, sodium bicarbonate) increase its effectiveness (reduced excretion by the kidneys).
- Means, acidifying urine (ammonium chloride, ascorbic acid), reduce the effectiveness of rimantadine (due to increased kidney removal).
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used the drug Rimantadine:
- Helena. Excellent flu prevention, I usually buy them before the January-February epidemic, for two years I have already been without a hospital one. It is a trifle, and the effect is not worse than expensive drugs. There is a true nuance - the belly blows from him, however it is still better than to get sick with the flu.
- Lana It helps quickly, but side effects last for several days: a constant rumble in the ears seems to be somewhere far away the substation is working, weakness, especially in the legs, but it doesn’t have snot or throat).
- Victor. A week ago, ill (ARI) Familiar advised Rimantadine. Having come to the pharmacy, I was certainly surprised by its cheapness and frankly doubted it would help but after 2 days of its administration I became much easier. Great tool
Structural analogues of the active substance (drugs of similar antiviral orientation are also added):
- Amiksin (similar effect);
- Arbidol (similar effect);
- Ingavirin (similar effect);
- Kagocel (similar effect);
- Rimantadine Actitab;
- Rimantadine hydrochloride.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
According to the instructions, rimantadine is recommended to be stored in a dry place, sufficiently protected from light. Recommended temperature regime - not exceeding room temperature. Shelf life - no more than 5 years.