Licorice root syrup is a herbal remedy based on rhizomes of licorice, which has an anti-inflammatory, expectorant and immunostimulating effect.
The basis of this drug is licorice extract, sugar syrup and a small percentage of ethyl alcohol. Such a composition of simple and natural components allows the drug to be used even for small children.
The drug effectively relieves coughing episodes, dilutes sputum, strengthens the immune system, eliminates inflammatory processes in the bronchopulmonary system. Also, this drug is able to deal with harmful microorganisms that cause flu, colds and other illnesses of an inflammatory nature.
Often used to treat bronchitis, tracheitis and pneumonia. It is also called syrup of licorice or licorice root.
Herbal preparation with expectorant action.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Licorice Root Syrup cost in pharmacies? The average price is at 40 rubles.
Composition and release form
Available in bottles of 100 ml. Composition:
- 4 ml of extract from the rhizome of bare licorice;
- 86 ml of natural sugar syrup;
- 10 ml of ethyl alcohol.
The drug is characterized by a specific taste, thanks to which the syrup is easily recognizable. Due to the presence of sugar syrup in the composition of the drug, it is widely used in the treatment of children, as they are quite willing to take medicine.
The expectorant works by the glycyrrhizin component, which enhances the secretory function of the mucous membranes. In addition to glycyrrhizin, which contains 6–12% in the licorice root, the product is rich in glycyrrhizic acid and its salts, flavonoids (likvritin), isoflavonoids (formononetin), derivatives of coumestane (isoglycyrol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycinerol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycinerol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycinerol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycinerol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycinerol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (iGlycyrolum), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids, (artogonetin), derivatives of coumestane (isoglycyrol), hydroxycoumarins (gerniarin), steroids,
Glycyrrhizin increases the activity of ciliary epithelium, exhibits anti-ulcer and anti-inflammatory effect, reducing platelet aggregation. Due to this, the drug inhibits the enzyme dehydrogenase in the kidney, which reduces the synthesis of cortisol to cortisone. Cortisol has a mineralocorticoid effect, which leads to a decrease in the concentration of potassium and an increase in the sodium content in the blood serum. Violation of this activity leads to a decrease in edema (reduced fluid retention in the body), weight loss, normalization of pressure.
Glycyrrhizic acid metabolites inhibit the peripheral metabolism of cortisol, causing a pseudo-aldosterone-like effect. One of the components of licorice root, likvritozid, has an antispasmodic effect on the smooth muscles of the respiratory system, removes increased tone. In addition, the instructions indicate the following properties of the plant:
- antibacterial (kills staphylococci, mycobacteria, pathogenic infections, destroys their walls);
Indications for use
Syrup is used to treat diseases of the upper respiratory tract, accompanied by dry and wet cough. Indications for use of the drug:
- When coughing. Syrup is effective in various forms of bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, bronchopneumonia. Thins a thick secret, relieves bouts of dry cough, makes it productive - wet. Removes mucus plugs when the bronchi and lungs are blocked.
- Bronchial asthma. Softens, soothes cough, relieves spasms of smooth muscles of the bronchi. However, self-medication with this diagnosis is absolutely contraindicated. There are cases of allergy to the drug and exacerbation of the disease.
- Bronchiectasis. Purulent process in the bronchi, often of a chronic nature. Occurs with tuberculosis, lung abscess. The complex treatment includes antibiotics, bronchodilators, massage, breathing exercises. To liquefy sputum prescribed licorice root extract.
- Bronchi sanation. It is carried out before the surgical treatment of the bronchi, after operations.
The main pharmacological action is expectorant. Glycyrrhizin affects the ciliated epithelium of the bronchi, stimulates its work, removes excess sputum.
You need to carefully consider the reception of any drug, especially if it can give negative side effects. Licorice syrup, contraindications which should be taken into account, is taken strictly on doctor's orders.
Liquorice extract can not be consumed if a person is found:
- individual intolerance;
- pregnancy at any time;
- violation of cardiac activity;
- arterial hypertension;
- diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2;
- violation of the adrenal glands;
- liver failure, cirrhosis;
- acute or chronic diarrhea
- acute renal failure;
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Medicines with licorice are contraindicated in any period of childbearing, as glycyrrhizin from licorice root can cause excess fluid to accumulate in the body and cause swelling of the limbs. Licorice can also disrupt the hormones of a pregnant woman and increase blood pressure.
When breastfeeding drugs with licorice can be used only on the recommendation of the attending physician and with extreme caution. During lactation, all drugs are selected individually, so that the treatment does not harm the child on HBs.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Licorice Root Syrup is ingested.
The recommended single dose for children (with a frequency of 3 times a day):
- children up to 2 years: 1-2 drops (after preliminary cultivation in 1 teaspoon of water);
- children 2-6 years old: 2-10 drops (after preliminary cultivation in 1 teaspoon of water);
- children 6-12 years old: 50 drops (after preliminary dilution in 1/4 cup of water);
- children from 12 years: 1/2 tsp (after preliminary cultivation in 1/4 cup of water).
The recommended single dose of syrup for adults is 1 teaspoon (after preliminary dilution in 1/2 cup of water) 3 times a day.
- Duration of application - from 7 to 10 days. The need for a longer course should be agreed with the doctor.
To facilitate expectoration in the presence of poorly separated sputum, it is recommended to drink plenty of warm water.
According to the instructions for use, licorice root can provoke the following side effects:
- allergic reactions;
- decrease in the concentration of potassium ions in the blood;
- increase in blood pressure;
The use of licorice syrup in combination with cardiac glycosides and antiarrhythmic drugs is strictly prohibited. This can trigger the onset of hypokalemia.
In case of a pronounced excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of Licorice root syrup, the appearance or amplification of symptoms of negative adverse reactions may occur. In this case, the use of the drug should be discontinued and consult a medical specialist who, if necessary, will prescribe a symptomatic treatment.
1 drop of syrup contains 0.01 XE, 1 teaspoon - 0.11 XE.
In the maximum adult single dose - 430 mg of absolute alcohol, in 1 drop - 19 mg.
Interaction with other drugs
Perhaps the combined use of other drugs used for the treatment of bronchopulmonary diseases.
Simultaneous use with drugs containing codeine, as well as with other preparations with antitussive action is not recommended, since this may lead to difficulty coughing of liquefied sputum.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used the drug:
- Taisiya. Cough saw licorice syrup, which is good for reviews. An overdose has turned out from inattention and swelling began on the face and legs, the epithelium on the skin has peeled off. I had to stop taking the medicine, I was prescribed a medicine against edema. It is necessary to carefully approach the reception of any medication to get the benefit.
- Valentine. Licorice extract has always been my proven remedy. Now I accept him too, if I understand that I am beginning to get sick. Cough, viscous sputum, chest pain - all these symptoms of diseases syrup eliminates instantly. I like the fact that it acts gently, does not irritate the throat and does not cause headaches, like some other medicines.
- Galina. I suffer from inflammation of the bronchi often, age does not allow the body to actively fight viruses. I found a good remedy in the pharmacy and my doctor confirmed that licorice rhizomes help to cure even a strong cough. I keep my hypertension in control when I drink medicine. As warned at the pharmacy, there may be pressure surges.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Licorice root round briquette;
- Licorice root syrup;
- Licorice syrup;
- Licorice extract is thick;
- Licorice extract dry;
- Licorice root extract is thick.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The shelf life of licorice syrup is 2 years. After opening the bottle, the syrup must be used for a period of time not exceeding six months. The drug should be stored in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children at an air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C.